Hello, my lovely Whovians. I hope you have all had a fantastic Christmas and are enjoying the break. Welcome to the BIG Big Blue B0x Podcast New Year’s Day 2019 quiz with a mix of easy and some harder questions. This quiz is just for fun and by the end, you can hopefully congratulate yourself that you are a New Years and Doctor Who aficionado. There are a total of 30 marks available for correct answers.
Happy quizzing!!!! Come on you know you want to! The answers are to be found at the bottom of this article.
Part 1 New Year
How much do you know about New Year traditions and New Year itself, Answer the questions below and test your knowledge? There are 9 marks available in this section.
1) Who brought in the Julian calendar where 1st January became a common celebration day? (1 mark)
2) What is a traditional activity on New Year’s Day (1 mark)
3) The song, “Auld Lang Syne,” is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the new year. Which poet transcribed the poem on which it is based? (1 mark)
a) Thomas Aird b) Alexander Balfour c) Robert Burns
4) In the song “we’ll take a cup of kindness yet” but how big is the cup? (1 mark)
a) A quart b) A schooner c) A pint
5) Toasts typically concern gratefulness for the past year’s blessings, hope and luck or the future, and thanking guests for their New Year’s company. What is typically drunk at New Year in the UK (1 mark)
6) What event typically occurs at New Year in the UK? (1 mark)
7) Which city/ country will see the new year in 2019 first (1 mark)
a) Honiara in the Solomon Islands b) Kiribati in the central Pacific Ocean c) Chatham Islands/New Zealand
8) Which two of these classic Who stories included a New Year ‘s Day episode? (2 answers, 1 mark per correct answer available)
Part 2 The Krypton Who Factor
How good are your memory and observation? There are two video clips and 8 marks available in this section.
Watch this Doctor Who video Daleks Funniest Moments by youtuber Yes review and answer the following questions:
9) In the clip where a Dalek goes over the side of a ship which story is that from? (1 mark)
a) The Daleks b) Dalek Invasion of Earth c) The Chase
10) In the clip where two Daleks are attacked by antibodies from Death to the Daleks how many antibodies attacks? (1 mark)
a) 3 b) 2 c) 1
11) What floor is the 5th Doctor on when he throws the Dalek out of the warehouse (1 mark)
a) 3rd b) 1st c) 2nd
12) In the Postman Pat sketch, the fruit basket contains banana, pineapple and what other fruit? (1 mark)
a) Grapes b) Mangos c) Kiwis
Okay onto the next clip. Watch this video Doctor Who | Flash Bang Wallop! | Babelcolour by the hugely talented youtuber Stuart Humphryes and answer
13) What colour is the Doctor’s suit in the clip where Freema winks at the camera? (1 mark)
a) Brown b) Plum c) Blue
14) How many times is the Doctor seen clapping his hands through the video? (1 mark)
a) 2 b) 3 c) 4
15) A naughty undressed (!) Katy Manning poses with what colour Dalek? (1 mark)
a) White b) Gold c) Grey
16) How many brides that we see actually do get married? (1 mark)
a) None b) 1 c) 3
Part 3 New Year Resolutions!
The Doctor Who special has always been a highly anticipated and awaited event for many fans ever since the show was revived in 2005. This year, of course, it’s on the 1st January so these questions are about beginnings of eras. This section has 8 marks available
17) In An Unearthly Child, what does Ian threaten the Doctor with when in the junkyard? (1 mark)
a) a punch on the nose b) Fetching a policeman c) Breaking the door of the police box
18) In Power of the Daleks, the Doctor finds a dagger which he got from whom? (1 mark)
a) King Richard b) El Akir c) Saladin
19) In Spearhead in Space, what is the name of the poacher (1 mark)
a) Sam Munro b) Sam Seeley c) Sam Stevens
Watch this clip from Robot and answer the following question:
20) The Doctor quotes Mother, Mother I feel sick, call the Doctor, quick, quick, quick. Who wrote the book with the same quote? (1 mark)
a) Remy Charlip b) Roald Dahl c) PL Travers
21) In this clip from Castrovalva, what does Mergrave see out of the window? (3 answers, one mark per correct answer available)
a) Mergrave’s house b) the town square c) His Pharmacy d) The library e) The council dwellings
22) What does the 5th Doctor say he is fond of? (1 mark)
a) Physics b) History c) Literature
Part 4 Entry to the Capitol
The Capitol is the home of the Time Lords and stood in the mountains of Solace and Solitude, on the continent of Wild Endeavour, enclosed in a mighty glass dome. Have you studied enough at the Academy to get more than 51% that the Doctor achieved. There are 5 marks available.
23) Who is this monster? (1 mark)
a) The Moxx of Balhoon b) Adherents of the Repeated Meme c) The Face of Boe
24) Who are these male actors who have played historical figures in Doctor Who? 1 mark for each correct answer (3 marks available)
25) Final question and there are no answers to pick from for this so only using your super knowledge who is the only actor to play 2 companions in Doctor Who history? (1 mark)
Well done! You’ve got to the end of the BIG Big Blue Box Podcast 2019 New Year Quiz. How did you do?
Tally your marks up and post a brief comment on Twitter if you have completed the quiz. Thanks very much. Happy New Year everyone.
Here’s to a great 2019 and whatever it brings.
0-10 Good try but are you sure you haven’t seen a dream crab hanging around the house recently?
11-23 Well done! you definitely can have the last chocolate from the selection box!
23-30 Excellent knowledge!! You have graduated with a triple first and are ready to invest in the Paul Smith scarf and hop onto the Tardis. Don’t forget your sonic!
1: b 2: a 3: c 4: c 5: a 6:c 7: b 8: a & b 9: c 10: b 11: c 12: a 13: c 14: b
15: b 16: b Donna Noble marries Shaun Temple but the other marriages don’t take place 17: b 18: c 19: b 20: a 21: b & c & d
22: b 23: a The Moxx of Balhoon 24: Robin Hood ( Tom Riley) , William Shakespeare (Dean Lennox Kelly), King James (Alan Cummings) 25. Happy 90th birthday to Bernard Cribbins this week. He played Tom Campbell in the film Dalek’s Invasion Earth 2150 A.D as well as Wilfred Mott