Hello my lovely Whovians. I hope you are all having a fantastic Christmas and enjoying the holidays.
Depending on when you are reading this you are either counting down the days and hours to the Christmas Day Doctor Who special or you’ve already digested your own body weight in turkey, had slightly too much mulled wine and need a retreat from watching the children’s favourite film Frozen yet again.
Welcome to the Christmas quiz with a mix of easy and some harder questions. This quiz is just for fun and by the end you can hopefully congratulate yourself that you are a Christmas and Doctor Who aficionado. There are a total of 30 marks available for correct answers.
Happy quizzing. Come on you know you want to!
The answers are to be found at the bottom of this article.
Part 1 Christmas Traditions
Everyone has their own Christmas traditions, but do you know where they come from and why we do certain things? Answer the questions below and test your knowledge.
1) When was the first Christmas card created? (1 mark)
a) 1843 b)1853 c) 1863
2) Who started a trend by putting up a Christmas tree at Windsor Castle? (1 mark)
a) Bonnie Prince Charlie b)Prince Albert c) Prince George
3) What is the average distance from the United Kingdom to Lapland? (1 mark)
a) 1307 miles b) 1413 miles c) 1520 miles
4) Which saint is associated with the legend of leaving stockings at Christmas? (1 mark)
a) St Rudolph b) St Christopher c) St Nicholas
5) What occupation was Tom Smith who invented Christmas crackers? (1 mark)
a) Comedian b) Magician c) Sweet maker
6) What is another name for Christmas pudding? (1 mark)
a) Figgy Pudding b) Adam’s Pudding c) Spiced pudding
7) According to the 12 Days of Christmas carol what did my true love give on the 7th day? (1 mark)
a) Golden Rings b) Swans a swimming c) Geese a laying
8) Which of these classic Who stories included a Christmas episode? (1 mark)
a) Power of the Daleks b) The Dalek Masterplan c) The War Games
Part 2 The Krypton Who Factor
How good is your memory and observation? Watch this Doctor Who video by the hugely talented Babelcolour (Stuart Humphreys) https://youtu.be/YJ1tkEFLRBM and answer the following questions:
9) What does the 12th Doctor wear on his head greeting Nardole for the first time? (1 mark)
a) A nightcap b) Antlers c) Edwardian top hat
10) How many Victorian carol singers do we see singing? (1 mark)
a) 3 b) 5 c) 7
11) What colour is the strip on the Victorian Market stall as the 10th Doctor takes in the Victorian era? (1 mark)
a) Blue white stripe b) Red white stripe c) Green white stripe
12) Who wishes “A happy Christmas to all of us”? (1 mark)
a) Steven Moffat b) The 1st Doctor c) The 12th Doctor
13) The doctor’s notice says carol singers will be…… what? (1 mark)
a) Paid gold b) Given a mince pie c) Criticised
14) How many ‘Santa’ robots do we see fall down? (1 mark)
a) 5 b) 6 c) 7
15) Who sang this version of Merry Christmas Everyone? (1 mark)
a) Chris Rea b) Shakin Stevens c) One Direction
Part 3 The Christmas Specials
The Doctor Who Christmas special has always been a highly anticipated and awaited event for many fans ever since the show was revived in 2005. There have been twelve but how much do you remember from them?
16) What is the first name of this Noble character? (1 mark)
a) Geoff b) Gerry c) Garry
17) Who played Abigail in a Christmas Carol? (1 mark)
a) Foxes b) Katherine Jenkins c) Kylie Minogue
18) Who complained in Voyage of the Damned about the Racnoss invading London saying “that Christmas star, electrocutin’ all over the place, drainin’ the Thames”? (1 mark)
a) Sylvia Noble b) Donna Noble c) Wilf Mott
19) Who is this man? (1 mark)
a) Dr Sim b) Mr Brock c) Mr Cole
Watch this clip from The Snowmen https://youtu.be/GXdEWSoRi0g and answer the following questions:
20) What is implied is in the glass beside Madame Vastra? (1 mark)
a) Red wine b) Deadly Nightshade c) Blood
21) What does Madame Vastra say to Clara the doctor isn’t? There are two correct answers and 1 mark per correct answer available (2 marks in total)
a) A tyrant b) A protector c) Kind d) A man of god e) A liberator
22) What shape are the Doctor’s reading glasses? (1 mark)
a) Round b)Oval c) Square
Part 4 Entry to the Capitol
The Capitol is the home of the Time Lords and stood in the mountains of Solace and Solitude, on the continent of Wild Endeavour, enclosed in a mighty glass dome. Have you studied enough at the Academy to know who was the greatest time-lord?
23) Identity this symbol (1 mark)
24) Who are these actors who played Rassilon? 1 mark for each correct answer (3 marks availa)
25) Who are these fictional characters from the Christmas specials? 1 mark for each correct answer (3 marks available)
Well done! You’ve got to the end of the BIG Big Big Blue Box Podcast 2017 Christmas Quiz. How did you do? Tally them up and pop you result on Twitter for us.
0-10 Good try but are you sure you haven’t seen a dream crab hanging around the house recently?
11-23 Well done you definitely should keep wearing your Christmas jumper!
23-30 Excellent knowledge. You have graduated with a triple first and are ready to join the Tardis crew next year. Don’t forgot your notebook!
1: a 2: b 3: b 4: c 5: c 6:a 7: b
8: b 9: b 10: b 11: c 12: b 13: c 14: b
15: b 16: a 17: b 18: c 19: b 20: c 21: b & c
22: a 23: The Seal of Rassilon 24: Timothy Dalton, Richard Mathews and Donald Sumpter
25: Miss Hartigan, Madge Arwell and Alonso Frame